Friday, August 1, 2008

You Have to Be Visible

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but my Grandma (who is AWESOME) has told me that to meet people, "you have to be visible." Seems like common sense, but it really is great advice - I'm not going to meet anyone sitting at home! I've realized about myself that I'm not the type to meet guys - ever! I never dated in high school, had one boyfriend in college, had one boyfriend after, and briefly dated a friend of friends earlier this year. But I'm not the type who is always dating, meeting guys out, etc. I make new friends pretty easily (hi new friends!), but I just never meet guys. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Or is it? Heh. So, listening to my (awesome!) Grandma's advice, I've been trying to get out of the house more. I work from home on Fridays, so I've occasionally been going down to a local coffee shop to work, and for awhile I was trying to get to Whole Foods at lunch to see if there were any cute working boys around. There have been a few cute guys at WF, but no one I've talked to or anything like that.

Just now, I needed to go grocery shopping, so I walked across the city to another Whole Foods that I'm not familiar with. I wore a new tight white t-shirt, cute jeans and pink sneakers and I even straightened my hair. ;) There was one guy who I think was trying to make eye contact with me, cause I kept running into him, but he never said anything. Anyway, I also bought some red dahlias, and couldn't fit them in the super cute Make It Right tote bag my sister got me for my birthday (it combines all my loves - celebrity gossip [it's Brad Pitt's organization], New Orleans [I volunteered there for a week last year, and look forward to going back], eco-friendliness and pink!). Ok, these brackets/parenthesis are getting out of control. Anyway. So, I was carrying my flowers, and boy did I get a lot of comments on the walk home. I got "nice flowers" several times, but the tone was a little more suggestive than that. One older and possibly drunk and/or crazy guy said, "you have a lovely [inaudible]." To be honest, it sounded like he said ass, but really, I don't think that's what he said. I hope not, at least! Anyway, it reminded me to post some of the best lines I've gotten since I moved to this neighborhood.

I live in a cute, trendy neighborhood that happens to be right next to the projects, and there are always lots of people hanging out outside. Generally they just say hi, or something like "you look very nice today," but sometimes I get a funny line. The other day I was going for a walk and was a few blocks away when this guy said,

"Hey neighbor."

I just smiled at him and kept walking, thinking, hey, how does he know I live around here? IS he my neighbor? Has he seen me before? Should I have said hi? Is that a common expression?

A few months ago after work I was walking across the street to get a pair of sunglasses at TJ Maxx. Whatever, they're cheap and I break them all the time anyway! This guy in an SUV (hate!) pulls over and says, "hey." I was going to keep walking, but then thought, ok, what if he needs directions? Of course he didn't need directions. He says,

"Um... I just think you're really hot."

Ew. I just rolled my eyes and walked away. He drove by again and gave me the rocker/hang loose sign with his tongue hanging out. Ew, again.

But I think my very favorite line was uttered shortly after I moved to this neighborhood. I was about a block from home, passing a bus stop, when this guy says,

"What's up snowflake?"

HA!

Clearly I need some self-tanner. ;)

What's the best or funniest pickup line you've gotten?

No comments: