Friday, April 4, 2008

I Could Be Bitchy About This Or...

Had a date scheduled for tonight with Z (gee, can you possibly guess what his real name is?) at 9pm. Well, originally it was 8pm, but he emailed last night and asked if we could move it to 9, since he had to work late. On a Friday? Sucks for him, but it was fine with me, since he lives in the East Bay, but was totally willing to come out to SF and seemed really flexible about where to meet. I offered to do some research since he doesn't live in town, and after an email exchange this afternoon, I sent another one at 2:15 throwing out a few places to meet. Never heard back, but I expected I'd get a call from him to figure out where we were gonna meet.

8 rolls around. No call, no email.

Finally, at 8:37, I get this email:

"well, this is problematic.... I dont have your cell phone number! It didn't occur to me to write it down before I left work and I cant access my work email account... so... call me if you get this email in time!"

I debated responding, but decided to hold off for a bit. It was like 20 minutes before we were supposed to meet, so I very well could have made other plans. Obviously I hadn't, because to be honest, I'm exhausted and was actually excited to hang around the house, finish making cookies for a party tomorrow, and get to bed early so I could work out in the morning! Exciting Friday night, huh? I actually love staying in, though.

At 9:11, I get this email from him:
sorry if there was miscommunication. I didnt have time to reply to the last message you sent to my work email address, and we didnt have concrete plans, so i've just been waiting for you to call or email me because I was too stupid to write down your cell # before i left work. I'm going to ny again for 4 days next thurs-tuesday so hpefully we can hang out before then!

Note: he clearly doesn't proofread.

I debated whether I should email him tonight or in the morning, but I decided, you know what, I'm just gonna call him. So I did, at 9:38. Got voice mail. I said, nicely, hey, just got your emails, now you have my number.

Ok, I was going to originally say that I was debating emailing back and saying "well, I thought our plans were concrete to meet at 9, but I guess you just mean since we didn't pick a place." But then I thought, what good is going to come out of being bitchy or having the last word? Which is why I decided to call instead of email. He just called back. He was nice. Very enthusiastic, and seems to almost slip into a Southern Accent occasionally (he's from LA but went to grad school in the South, and I think he was born there). We rescheduled for this coming Thursday - he's got a red-eye later that night, so the date won't be too long, which is good. I like having an out... even if it's a good date. Details to come!

No comments: