Thursday, April 10, 2008

Three Strikes And You're Out

Ok, so I decided I wasn't going to contact Z, but I'd see what he had to say if he emailed or called. But in my mind, the date was off. On Monday, I get this email from him:


Well the good news is I won't have to feel envious tonight watching on TV a bunch a drunk and rambunctious college students in Westwood or Chapel Hill having a good time and destroying property. Of course, I may see this happening in Memphis or Kansas, but that won't elicit the same feelings.
Hope you felt refreshed Saturday morning after not meeting up with me!
Z

I write back:

Yeah, it was such a bummer about the game. :(

Um, did you call me at 2 am on Saturday?

Obviously, I'm just over it at this point. I mean, really. His response:

Yeah, i must have. sorry about that. were you awake or asleep? i have a new phone and i forgot to lock my keypad, so some of the buttons got pressed while I was driving. I still haven't put a lot of phone numbers in the phonebook, and your number is one of them, which is probably why you had the fortune of getting an unintended 2am phone call. Lucky you!
did you hear anything in the background? like people talking? I don't think i said anything too incriminating.

My friends love the fact that he's like, oh yeah, sorry about that, and seems to be more concerned with the fact that I might have heard something incriminating! Ha. I didn't write back, but decided if he called or emailed, I'd go out with him... just for material for the blog! Wednesday night, I get this email:

Hey Janet-
So if you're still down, I definitely want to meet up. My flight leaves out of SFO 10:40, so I can leave at 9:30 to get to the airport at 10pm.

Do you want to meet at the [cute wine bar] at 7:30, drink some wine, eat some tapas, and then I can make a mad dash for BART?

email me at wok after tonight-

I had to resist the urge to make some kind of wok joke. Dude. Proofread. Also, side note: do I really want to date someone who leaves that little time to get to the airport? That is so not me. Anyway, I wrote back that 7:30 sounded good, and he said he'd see me there. I left work at a decent time, skipped the gym (though I might not have gone anyway, as I was exhausted from a run this morning and an awesome kickboxing class Wed night!), came home and ate a few little snacks to tide me over, because I know this wine bar only has cheese and no real tapas. I'm totally exhausted, but trying to rally. I start straightening my hair when my phone rings. You've got to be kidding me, I think. No voice mail for quite awhile, but finally one pops through. You can see where this is going. Long, rambling message about how his flight was cancelled, and they put him on at 8:30 flight, so he had to cancel. He said to call him and let him know that I got the message, that he hoped it didn't mess up my plans (uh, duh) and that he'd call me when he gets back. No, thank you! That is so his 3rd strike. I honestly almost wanted to say, dude, I was only going out with you at this point to make fun of you on my blog. I'm relieved, once again, to not go out with him, because I'm exhausted and now I can stay in, but seriously. What a tool. I'm not even mad, just like, really, dude? No wonder you're single (though obviously I'm single, too, but that's totally different, ha). What girl would really still want to go out with him after all this? The only thing I'm annoyed about is that I flat-ironed my hair and ate a few snacks, so I'm in that weird in-between do I eat dinner, do I not eat dinner state! What a waste. Would it be too bitchy to text him, "got your message. don't worry about rescheduling." Ah, what do I care if it's too bitchy? ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This guy is hilarious. His time management skills would so drive you insane. Plus, he probably thinks a plate of cheese is a meal.